Monday, March 14, 2011

My Review of "The Midwife's Confession" by Diane Chamberlain

I said I'd be sharing (and hoping you share) great books here - so here's one I love!  I was recently lucky enough to receive an advance copy of the latest book by one of my favorite authors - Diane Chamberlain. While I enjoy all of her books, there are some that are absolute stand-outs.  And I'm happy to say that "The Midwife's Confession" is definitely in that category.  Below is my review of the book, and here's a link to the book on Amazon....


A shocking suicide, an unfinished note and an unimaginable secret – these events form the basis of Diane Chamberlain’s latest work, “The Midwife’s Confession.”  A haunting, layered story told through flashbacks, as well as the voices of several main characters, it grapples with the question of how well we really know those we love.   “The Midwife’s Confession” is Diane Chamberlain at her best.  You simultaneously want to finish it, and never want it to end. 
I was sucked into this book from the first 2 pages.  I couldn’t put it down, until one of the twists was so emotionally wrenching I had to put it down and wipe away my tears.  The tangled tale of Noelle, Tara and Emerson will speak to you, whether you are a mother, a friend, or a confidante.  I have ready many of Ms. Chamberlain’s titles, and easily put this book into the class of “The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes” (one of my all-time favorite books).   I find myself replaying passages, looking for what I missed, or for why I was so sure the story was headed in another direction.  A stunning, heart-rending tale, I am already looking forward to re-reading it!
The Midwife's Confession

xox, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment