Wednesday, May 4, 2011

13.1 miles and $2500 or Bust!

Call me crazy...no, really, call me crazy.
I signed up for the Dodge Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach for Labor Day weekend.

And because that is obviously not enough torture to put myself though, I also joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training and committed to raising $2500 through the course of my training for the Half Marathon.

I was starting to think that I need to be committed:  a year ago I couldn't run around the block without having to gasp for air, and now I'm training to run 13.1 miles.  And I don't like to ask for a favor, let alone ask for money.  BUT then it hit me - who cares if it hurts to run?  Who cares if someone says "no" if I ask for a donation?  That's nothing!  But for the patients and their families living with and fighting against blood cancers? That is hard.  A heartbreaking struggle, both emotionally and financially draining, and unimaginable for most people contemplate.  The very least I can do is step outside my comfort zone to make a difference for the parents, children, siblings affected by blood cancers.

Through the course of my training, I'm going to bring you "Team in Training (TNT) Tuesdays."  A major part of this event is that I am running in honor of Seamus and Andrew - 2 incredibly brave boys living full and healthy lives today.  And I am also running in memory of my college friend and sorority sister, Cory Jill Rovin, whom we lost in 1999.  Over the course of TNT Tuesdays, I'll be sharing their stories, and the role LLS played for them and for their families. 

And as a part of my fundraising efforts, I'm coordinating an auction on Facebook.  100% of the proceeds will got to LLS.  I'm adding items daily, and the auction itself begins may 25th!  If you would like to donate to the auction, or know someone who would, please let me know!  twingle.beads@gmail.com

xox, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment