Monday, May 9, 2011

The Chocolate Bunnies are Multiplying…

I swear they are – they must be.  That is the only possible explanation for how much brightly-colored, foil-wrapped candy there still is in my pantry.  I reach in for almonds, or raisins, or some other healthy snack, and come out with a mini-Cadbury egg, or bite-size bunny, or a so-good-it-should-be-illegal Milky Way egg.   Seriously - something about the nougat/caramel/chocolate ratio in those eggs makes them soooo much better than the bar!
So as I was staring at my bag o’ temptation this weekend, I realized there had to be something better to do with all of that chocolately goodness rather than leaving it to mock me daily.  And then I remembered that my friend Beth posted a recipe on facebook that used leftover Halloween candy in cookies.  Neither one of us could find the exact recipe she’d used, but a perusal of Google brought me Reeni Spice's exceedingly yummy blog, Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice, and this mouth-watering recipe.  
Of course, I was out of unsalted butter (really? I always have too many sticks of butter in my fridge – how the heck did that happen?!), so I am *hoping* to make them this weekend with the help of my twingles.  And then I plan to force them on the pre-school teachers.  Woo-hoo: activity for the girls, brownie points for me, plus chocolate removed from my house and therefore my waistline!  Can we say win-win-win-win?  And no, I will not place the now seemingly obligatory Charlie Sheen-esque comment here.
Here’s the recipe, and a link to Reeni's site (where you can get a printer-friendly version of the recipe).  Just don’t visit her site on an empty stomach.  Really.  Don’t do it.

XOX, Lisa

Candy Bar Cookies
(adapted from Epicurious)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 + 1/2 packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 + 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups chocolate candy bars, chopped
(like kit kats, peanut butter cups, snickers, milky way, m&m's)
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.

3. In a large bowl beat together butter and sugars at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs. Beat in vanilla.

4. Beat in flour just until blended. Gently mix in candy bars and walnuts, batter will be thick.

5. Scoop 1/4 cup batter for each cookie placing about 3 inches apart. Flatten mounds into 3-inch rounds using moistened palm of your hand. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until golden, 10 -14 minutes. Cool cookies on wire racks.

3 comments:

  1. sounds delicious!! I am going to have to try this one, we ALWAYS have way too much candy in our house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the kind words! Your blog is so pretty - love the background! If you used the salted butter that would be OK - just cut down the salt you add to 1/2 teaspoon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Reeni, for stopping by and for the tip! Good to know since I have certainly produced overly-salty cookies in the past. Oh, and I suspect those Nutella Pots de Creme will wind up inspiring their own post...Mmmmm, Nutella....

    ReplyDelete